Celebration dinner at Klein Constantia Ekeren http://www.kleinconstantia.be
It was funny since last year I was in South-Afrika, at “klein constantia” So I was very curious what this place could offer us, and what a pleasant surprise it was!
Nice entry, good music, perfect atmosphere, quickly we focussed if the menu was matching. So what did we eat?:
– Kroepoek with porc belly and atjar
– “steak tartare” with goat cheese, spiced pineapple and a crab espuma
– Pluma Iberico with butternut, chorizo and Kohlrabi
– Pana Cotta, passion fruit, yoghurt ice-cream and a lemon crumble
Ok, no real South-African influence, but still a very attractive menu!
Good / Bad points:
+ Jazz sounds, very relaxing and perfect volume
+ Loved the recognizable SA wine list
+ Starters had an amazing pallet, perfect flavor combo’s
+ Overall a high level of kitchen productions
– Missing a bread knife
– The Espuma of Crab looked like “the blob” and had a terrible “gooey” structure
– The open door brought in a terrible draft
– No water on the table and non offered
– Overall service did not come near the quality of the kitchen. Like a michelinstar resto with students as waiters…
Food: 9.2 out of 10, just good and strong presented dishes
coziness: 7.5 out of 10, could be higher, but 2 points less because of the open front door
Staff: 7.4 out of 10, friendly and nice but not equipped for this business
Price: 8.8 out of 10, for the food it is way to cheap, for the overall experience it is spot on!