My very first trip to the beautiful country called Georgia (because 25% of the men were named George…..). It was on my wishlist for many years, and now I know why! I fell in love with this country, the people, the nature, their driving skills (just like mine….) and of course, most important, the food (and liquor).
On my first night I was taken out to this massive restaurant called Tsiskvili (Windmill) it is very popular and almost sold-out on a regular working day, maybe not so intimate but amazing all together. Impressive entry, great surroundings and a well oiled machine within the restaurant business, not to forget all the complimenatry dance shows of traditional regional dancers. (http://tsiskvili.ge/english/home)
First some pictures and then I will talk about all the amazing food I tasted and all the new flavors I discovered…..:
What did I eat and drink….? Too much to mention, no really, these people are crazy when it comes to food, a bit like the Greek (Mezze) or the Lebanese kitchen which also seems similar on some parts, but I can truly say, Georgian “cuisine” is one of a kind!
- Natakhaktari local beer (not as good as the Belgian ones….)
- Water in all colors and fruit tastes (new to me….)
- Cornbread + local cheeses
- salad with nuts and garlic (njam njam!)
- Roasted chicken
- 3 types of unique plum sauce
- Smoked mozzarella (only with a different name of course since the Georgians officially invented this cheese type)
- Cheese pizza (also named different, but you know what I mean)
- Eggplant humus type garlic oil tapenade…. so good!
- Mix of grilled veggies
- 4 types of home made breads (oven outside, just heavenly)
- Smoked beef stew
- chicken intestines stew (heart, kidney, liver…..still learning to enjoy this)
- Veal fillet in Estragon sauce
- Veal ribs
- Pork ribs in hot sauce
- And so much more, I just can’t remember….. All with special herbs and their own traditional way of cooking, just remarkable!
Food: I just don’t know where to start…. There is nothing that makes me happier than experiencing new things and eating new dishes or learning new flavors, There was not 1 bad dish on the table, just all so different. I loved all the breads and spreads, high on taste and very pure, good fresh meat and specific but pleasurable tastings. The only remark I can give is the heaviness, even without my surgery this would have been too much and too heavy. So much cheese and bread….. But so delicious…. food points, 8.8 out of 10
Coziness: Warm and cozy, traditional feeling and unexpected unique surroundings, but also it was very massive, almost like a food factory, 250 people a day or more coming buy isn’t a small and cozy restaurant, still being this enormous it remained private and exclusive. 7.9 out of 10
Staff: Just as you could expect, well trained, professional and quick. Changing plates every 10 minutes, bringing glasses and drinks within a minute, very strong achievement! 9.1 out of 10
Price: I cannot keep saying this, but I am just never allowed to pay, or like this time even see the menu….so I did not have a clue. But after looking around on the web, I see that they are not cheap at all, even Western prices almost. But at the same time, for that kind of money nowhere in Western Europe I can eat this good! So a strong 8.1 out of 10
Overall another monster score of 8.5 out of 10